Create a Website Account - Manage notification subscriptions, save form progress and more.
The responsibilities of the Poet Laureate will include, but are not limited to:
Act as the official Consultant in Poetry to the City of Malibu and the Malibu Library.
Participate in and/or creating one Invitational each year.
Represent Malibu at literary and poetry events.
Work with the Laureate Committee to further the literary arts in local schools and as an advocate for poetry and written and spoken word.
The open call is for Malibu citizens and affiliates who will focus on elevating the literary arts, both in Malibu and outside communities, while representing the City of Malibu for a 2 year term. Applications, including all supplemental materials, must be received during the open submission period of DATE, 2023 through DATE, 2023.
Candidates must submit:
1. Cover Letter including required information outlined below.
2. Original published or unpublished poems or excerpts. Up to 5 poems may be submitted, but it must not be more than 10 pages.
A cover letter is required as part of the application and must address the following:
- A detailed description of your affiliation to Malibu.
- In what ways do you see yourself engaging with the Malibu community as an ambassador for poetry if chosen as the Poet Laureate?
- In what ways have you supported and continue to participate in the poetry community of Malibu?
- In what ways do you share an interest in the issues and elements contained in Malibu's Mission Statement? The Mission Statement can be found under Municipal Code Section 17.02.030.
By checking the box, the applicant agrees to the terms of the Poet Laureate. The Poet Laureate position is a two-year term that shall formally commence with a presentation at a City Council meeting tentatively scheduled in September 2023. The Poet Laureate will receive a stipend of $XXXX annually during their term. The candidate will be required to sign an Agreement with the City of Malibu and submit a W-9 form to be eligible to receive the stipend. The Poet Laureate will work with the City's Poet Laureate Committee which meets monthly to plan, organize, and discuss ways to engage and enhance poetry programs in the City of Malibu, schools, library and other organizations.
This field is not part of the form submission.
* indicates a required field